Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pacers' Rookie Orlando Johnson Sits Down For A Few Question About The Team's Expectations This Season As Well As Other Interesting Things

Coming out of a smaller school,  Orlando Johnson was flying under the radar, but a great set of skills and a solid physique have helped him reach the NBA following his senior season at UC Santa Barbara. Averaging 19.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game last year, the 6’5”, 205-pound shooting guard has left UCSB as the school’s all-time leading scorer, having received first-team All-Big West honors in both his junior and senior seasons.

Johnson enters the league with a deadly combination of shooting and scoring ability, shooting 42.7% from beyond the arc last season at UCSB. A perimeter player who can score seemingly anywhere on the floor, he can create enough space for himself to shoot off the dribble in the isolation game. Also a good catch-and-shoot guy , Johnson has added a mid-range game to his arsenal. The Pacers got a steal in this guy, as he will have an immediate impact off the bench this season.

Today I got the chance to sit down and ask the Pacers' rookie  a few questions about his expectations on the season as well as some other interesting things , below are the questions and OJ's responses.

Question:  Has playing in the NBA always been a dream of yours?

OJ:  It has always been a dream for me. Growing up I just wanted to have a chance to show and prove I'm one of the best, now it's time to show why I'm with tis opportunity.

Question: What was your first thought when you got news that you were going to be a Pacer?

OJ: When I realized I was a Pacer I was just in shock because they were up there on the teams I felt I really could help. I was excited to be a Pacer  because of their tradition and how good the organization was. Also, I would have a chance to work with and learn from Bird.

Question: What do you think you can bring to the Indiana Pacers?

OJ: Toughness, shooter, rebounder, scorer, for the guard position, and someone who won't back down from anyone. A guy who will bring IT night in and night out.

Question: What are your expectations for the team this year?

OJ: I feel we are coming off a great run last year. Now it's time to keep working to get better. I feel we have the right pieces to make another great run, hopefully to a title.

Question: What is your ultimate career goal as an NBA player?

OJ: My ultimate career goal is to maximize my potential as a player and keep pushing myself to be great. Also, be considered a winner when it's all said and done.

Question: How tough is it transitioning to a new city, coming all the way from California?

OJ: I feel like it will be more of an adventure than tough. I'm hoping to have my family or best friends be there with me so we can enjoy the experience together. I don't think it will be too bad. I like the feel of the town, hardworking and laid back, like me.

Question: Will you be carrying anyone else's bags on the road this year, being that you're a rookie?

OJ: I think that's just a part of being welcomed to the team and I'll just have to embrace it.

Question: What is the first thing you will purchase with your first check?

OJ: A place to live. Although I love the Conrad (Downtown Hotel), I want to have a place to call my home.

Question: What is your favorite place to eat in Indy so far?

OJ: Kilroys, because it's the only restaurant I think I've been to. Their bread sticks are the best I've ever had.

Question: Who is your favorite athlete and why?

OJ: Shaquille O'neal because he was so dominate and relentless. I take the same approach when I play, I back down from no one.



I would again like to thank OJ for his time to do this interview and if you would like to keep up with him follow his twitter account: @Pace_O11

No comments:

Post a Comment